Monday, July 28, 2008

Have you ever wondered what's 'under the dinner table'?



Lady L and I went to see the "Age of the Imagination" exhibit at L.A.C.M.A last week. I am a huge fan of Japanese art--especially from the Edo period, which this exhibit boasted. But to be honest, I was sorely disappointed. There were a few noteworthy pieces, including-- a gorgeous kimono, an original samurai costume and a modern interpretation of the Tales of Genji, told in a series of photographs from a live theater performance. But the exhibition was very small- and while it did make use of the Japanese pavillion's round architecture--it didn't look very different from what has always been in there.


Since the exhibition took us only about a half hour or so-- we decided to pop on over to the new building (which is called the Broad Contemporary Art Museum). I must say- every time I drive by the museum on Wilshire and stare at those light posts- I still think they are under construction and are going to move them. But anyways- I was not disappointed with this collection of contemporary art at all. The rooms are full of Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Jasper Johns, Jeff Koons and Robert Rauchenberg. Enough to keep you very well occupied, shocked, excited and amused. I especially enjoyed by Robert Therrien's "Under the Dinner Table," which is an oversize dining room table (complete with chairs) that the viewer can walk underneath. So if you haven't been already-- go check out BCAM! You wont be sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment